Pundits are saying 2016 will be the year Virtual Reality comes to the home, with Silicon Valley investors pouring money into the technology, the long awaited Oculus Rift due to be released this year and the heavily hyped Meta launching soon.
If you missed the show, you can hear it podcast through the Nightlife website.
- Exactly what are Augmented and Virtual Reality?
- Why all the hype now?
- Why are investors putting so much money into the space?
- Apart from games what can this tech be used for?
- Do you always have to wear the funny glasses?
- Does the headsets always need to be connected to a computer?
- What are the devices and brands we should be watching out for?
- Is it likely consumers will be able to afford this technology in the near future?
- Will 2016 really be the year of virtual or augmented reality?
If we get time, we’ll also look at Apple’s fight with the FBI over encryption (security researcher Troy Hunt has an excellent run down of the issues at stake) and what happens if you change the date on your iPhone to 1970.
Tune in on your local ABC radio station from 10pm Australian Eastern Summer time or listen online at www.abc.net.au/nightlife.
We’d love to hear your views so join the conversation with your on-air questions, ideas or comments; phone in on 1300 800 222 within Australia or +61 2 8333 1000 from outside Australia.